- Keep all grass and weeds cut short – no more than 4 inches tall.
- Make sure all gutters are clean.
- Move all firewood or lumber at least 30 feet away from the house.
- Remove all fallen needles and bark mulch within 18 inches of the foundation and replace with gravel.
- Make sure all dead vegetation is removed from landscaping around the house.
- Remove highly combustible vegetation such as junipers that are close to the house.
- Eliminate “ladder fuels” – such as ground-hugging tree branches that can carry flames up to the crowns of trees.
- Remove combustible materials that may be stored under the deck.
- Trim trees to keep branches at least 10 feet from the house and provide open space between trees.
- Cover the house’s vent openings with 1/8-inch wire mesh to prevent embers from blowing into (or under) the structure.
Friday, June 19, 2015
Ten Things to Do Around Your House for Wildfire Safety
Posted by Brian Ballou at 9:01 AM